socastcmsRssStartBy Benjamin Yount | Illinois News NetworksocastcmsRssEnd
Fried or smoked turkey is delicious.
But the Illinois State Fire Marshal wants to make sure everyone enjoys that deliciousness safely.
Open flames and hot oil don’t mix. The Illinois State Fire Marshal’s office is reminding people of that fact ahead of Thanksgiving.
Illinois State Fire Marshal Matt Perez said the most important thing is to keep the fryer or smoker away from the house.
"People, if it is cold outside, tend to want to stay inside. Which is really a bad idea," Perez said. "Every cooking utensil should be at least 10 feet from anything combustible like your house. Especially with deep fryers, because of the danger of the grease overflowing down on to the fire. Which creates just a huge fireball."
Also, don’t fill the fryer too full of oil, don’t heat the oil too hot, and never put a frozen or partially frozen turkey into the oil.
Perez also reminded people to make sure to grill or smoke turkey outside, never in an enclosed garage because of carbon monoxide.
"People leave their grills, or smokers, or fryers unattended," Perez said. "If no one is paying attention when they are left unattended, things can go wrong and go wrong in a hurry."